Monday, June 22, 2009

What can the mall teach you ?

Today I went to a shopping mall by myself with no money, not even credit on my cell phone. I was actually there to open an account at the library, but it only opened at 9am so I had about an hour to just walk around and pass time.
It was such a freeing experience.
One of those that really speak to you.
Those that reveal, and then better your character.
There weren’t very many people so early in the morning, and a lot of the stores had not opened. The store workers had arrived though, and were setting up and getting ready for business. All this was new to me. I had only ever been at a mall when trading, eating and people traffic were already alive. The shops display by the window was good enough. They had their best items on show for me to want. I would stop at every store, particularly the clothing and new techno gadgets, and just wish I could buy it. I would wish it was mine. I would see myself using it, wearing it. Then I would remember that I had no money on me or even at home for that matter, so I moved on. It was easier at each shop. I eventually got to a point where I would just admire the work of the creator. I saw some exquisite handbags and shoes, I looked at books and furniture, paintings and cell phones. My thoughts went from “I really want that” to “wow, that is really beautiful. I wonder what inspired the designer.”

I felt like a recovered addict who was loosed from the bondage of the drugs when i left a few hours later. I felt that all those things at the mall no longer possessed me (having no money anyway helped a lot).
So if you always feel as though you need a new something, go to the mall one day alone and just appreciate. Of course, one still needs to BUY, but not in that addictive way. The way that makes you feel better about yourself. The way that increases your sense of self. Self esteem. Value.

There is one thing I still really wanted to buy: a cappuccino – smelt so good.

1 comment:

  1. Value driven!! This is really really good stuff.

    As you've pointed out here in this entry, the value of things really stands out when one is made aware of what it takes in order to obtain it. Any number past one thing desired naturally sets up its own ability to compete against the other things desired.

    ReplyDelete